Makes two servings
This is a delightfully vegetarian mid-week meal that has big bang for its prep-bucks! Its great the next days as a lunch treat. It makes a terrific option to a heavy pasta meal and still, you’ll feel satiated by the texture and fresh flavors of onions, mushrooms, peppers and savory spaghetti squash. And if you would like to add some type of dense protein, add sliced cooked chicken, chopped firm tofu, or chopped pecans.
- ½ roasted spaghetti squash
- 1-cup pioppini mushrooms (or any mushroom you like) – remove fibrous base
- ½ yellow onion – sliced thin
- 2 cups broccolini (broccoli chopped thin and bite size may be substituted).
- 2 – 4 baby artichokes. (may substitute 4 canned artichoke hearts)
- 1 large tomato – chopped
- 1 clove garlic – bruised but whole
- 2 shishito peppers – sliced thin and remove seeds to reduce heat if desired.
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley – chopped
- 2-4 tablespoons cotija cheese (goat cheese or ricotta may be substituted!)
- olive oil
- 1-cup chicken stock – store bought is good
- Arugula – 4 cups
- Roast whole spaghetti squash 450-degree oven for 1hour 15 minutes on middle rack. Let cool before cleaning. Once cooled, slice lengthwise and remove seeds. With a fork, remove meat into a bowl. It will resemble pasta like strands.
- Prep artichokes: remove outer leaves until only soft inner leaves are present. Slice top and bottom off. Slice artichokes in thin slices and set aside.
- On medium high heat, place onions in sauté pan with 1 tablespoons olive oil. Sauté for about 3 minutes. Add slice artichokes and shishito peppers. Let sauté for 10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and continue to sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and chicken stock and broccolini let simmer for 10 minutes over low heat.
- Add cooked spaghetti squash and let heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Place washed arugula leaves in a large soup bowl and top with spaghetti squash mixture.
- Crumble cotija cheese over spaghetti squash and vegetables.
- Add parsley. Optional: top with fresh grated Parmesan cheese.
Lisa Laskey Parks
Looks fantastic – have 2 in the frig! #humpday! Thanks 🙂