This elegant yet simple appetizer is the perfect beginning to a relaxing and busy-free evening. Blinis are sold at Whole Foods or most specialty grocery stores. It is a tiny buckwheat pancake that is a one-bite delight. If you can’t find them, substitute with sliced baguette, brioche, lavash, or even a slice of crispy cooked Yukon potato. They are delicious with champagne… but then again, what isn’t good with champagne!
- Caviar, lemon, Crème Fraiche
- Shrimp, crispy bacon, cream cheese
- Dill, cucumber, and shaved carrots with a goat cheese
- Seared tuna with avocado and grated fresh ginger
- Crab with lemon juice, spicy mayo, and green onion
Smoked Salmon Blini
- 1 – 4oz package smoked salmon
- 1 – 12 count package mini blini (size of a silver dollar)
- 1 carton Crème Fraiche (substitute: sour cream)
- 5 – 7 sprigs fresh chives (substitute: thinly sliced scallions) – chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons (more or less) capers
- 1 lemon
- Heat oven to 350 – warm blinis in the oven on center rack until warm and lightly brown – about 5 minutes.
- Layer warm blinis with salmon, Crème Fraiche, capers, and chives.
- Squeeze a bit of lemon juice on each just before serving