These mini grilled sandwiches are meant to add a bit of texture and flavor to a meal. So be sure to serve the portions as a typical 1/2 sandwich would size up to. You will need a countertop waffle iron, a portable grill, such as the George Foreman or any countertop grill. And if none of those gadgets are in you kitchen, use a fry pan over low heat and use another pan on top of the sandwich to act as the weight.
|boneless pork loin chops
|dry red wine
||1 chopped with skin
||1 bunch, stems removed
||2 peeled and sliced lengthwise, thin
- Coat carrots with olive oil and sea salt.
- Place in pre-heated 400 degree oven on a baking sheet for 15 minutes or until crisp and slightly golden; set aside.
- Season chops with salt and pepper.
- Brown chops over med high heat in a bit of olive oil, about 2 minutes.
- Add wine; let reduce to thick syrup.
- Add stock, apples, star anise.
- With lid askew, simmer over med low head for 12 minutes, or until tender.
- Set chops aside. Turn heat up and reduce liquid until consistency of syrup.
- Remove star anise.
- Slice pork and return it to pan with syrup.
- Coat the pork with syrup.
- Use a good foccacia, or dense rye bread.
- Coat the outside of the bread with a thin layer of butter.
- Place the pork, carrots and watercress on the bread.
- Place in heated waffle iron or countertop grill.
- Gently press down for about 10 seconds.
- Cook until golden.
- Cut each sandwich into quarters.
- Serve with Aunt Glady’s Pepper Jelly