In a world filled with distractions, tuning out the noise has become increasingly difficult. Distractions are sometimes tantalizing and other times annoying. They can lead to new discoveries as easily as derail our best efforts. So how do we decide what to let in and what to ignore? Here are five essential elements to help you filter the roar of time-wasting distractions.
- At the start of your day, identify your big picture; what do you want your day to look like now and at the end of the day?
- Make a list of your 3 top priorities.
- Take three minutes to close your eyes and mind-map when and how you will accomplish those priorities today.
- Plan one Artful Recess; your timeout to do whatever feels refreshing and rejuvenating and gives you 15 – 60 minutes off the grid.
- Go without your phone or computer to one outing every day. This will build your focus-muscles, expand your power of imagination, declutter your mind debris, and reconnect you with curiosity and wonder.