This delicious recipe satisfies all my cravings for a Sunday brunch indulgence. It’s a new and yummy twist on the classic eggs benedict – without the mega calories and Monday morning food-hangover! The rich creaminess of the egg yolk layered with olive oil and parmesan cheese is a perfect back drop to the crunchiness of chopped veggies. The savory lentils in a broth of chicken stock and root veggies pull it all together. Serve it with a chilled glass of sauvignon blanc and let your fall Sundays begin and linger into the sunset. Enjoy!
2 – 4 Servings
- 1 ½ cups sprouted or regular lentils — French green are the best but any type will work.
- 2 cups chicken stock — or enough to cover the lentils during cooking.
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small yellow onion – peeled and cut into eighths
- 1 large carrot – rough chop
- Rinse the lentils briefly with water and let drain.
- In a pan on stove top, add about 1 tablespoon olive oil and sauté carrots and onion over medium heat until translucent and tender; about 5 minutes.
- Add drained lentils and incorporate with veggies. Add bay leaf.
- Cover with chicken stock until just covered. Let simmer until tender; about 20 minutes.
- 1 green onion
- 1 large ripe tomato
- 1 cup savory mushrooms — any will do, but I particularly like a shitake, pioppini, or oyster.
- Optional: 3 or 4 pardon or shishito peppers — jalapeno are also very good depending on how hot you like it!
- Slice mushroom if using button or shitake. For oyster mushrooms, remove from fibrous base and break apart. Sauté mushrooms in olive oil, with a bit of sea salt, until crispy; about 10 or 15 minutes on medium high heat. Be careful not to overcook, you want them crispy on the outside and tender in the middle. Over stirring will make them mushy so ignore them just a little.
- Chop the tomatoes and slice the green onions.
Perfect Poached Egg
- 2 – 4 eggs
- 2 – 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (Reggiano or Grana Padano are great choices)
- Heat water in a pan until it boils.
- Reduce heat to a lively simmer.
- Crack egg and let simmer for 3 minutes for a soft yolk and cooked white.
- Remove with a spatula with a paper towel under the spatula to catch and drain excess water.
- Place the lentils in the center of your dish. Be sure you include some of the cooked carrots and onion.
- Add chopped tomatoes.
- Place egg on top and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Finish with crispy mushrooms on top.