You will be amazed at how many variations this one technique will provide. By using Roasted Root Vegetables, you can create the most delicious, nutritious and So Simply Gourmet. Use the Basic Creamy Soup to make puree for pasta sauces, add your favorite herbs, chicken, turkey or beans to create your own variation. Purée your roasted root vegetables and use as a thickening for other sauces or as a savory pasta sauce.
Basic Cream Soup without Cream
Yields 6 cups
Keeps refrigerated 3-4 days
4 cups pureed Roasted Root Vegetables
1-2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 cup whole milk – optional
Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove outer peel and any roots on the vegetables
- Place the cooled roasted vegetables in a food processor or blender with a enough stock to move the vegetable so they will purée. Purée until somewhat smooth, depending on the texture you want.
- Place purée in large pot, add stock and milk and heat.
- If adding more vegetables to make a chunky soup, cut the vegetable about the same size, cook them in the stock until just tender, then add your puréed roasted vegetables and milk.
- Make a basil pistou and top your soup with it as a flavor enhancer
- Add leftover chicken or vegetables and chopped tomatoes for a simple variation.